ksmbd

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 18 14:07:44 GMT 1999

David Nebinger, david.nebinger at eds.com wrote:

> Please keep in mind that there are non-linix OS's out there running Samba.

Actually the design that Guy described previously in this thread is portable
to at least one non-linux OS.

It may be that some or all of his source code could not be used, but the
program flow could be.

The OpenVMS I/O subsystem for both DISK and TCP/IP are natively asynchronous
calls.  This allows the described program flow to be implemented.  Properly
implemented, it would be much faster on OpenVMS than the current structure.
This would be a considerable rewrite though.

With OpenVMS, this type of server would be implemented in user mode, as the
asynchronous I/O system is exposed at that level.

If it becomes availble for Open Source, I for one will definitely be
interested as the concepts and likely the data flow and any other
descriptions on how it works would be valuable to optimizing things on
OpenVMS.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net