source code documentation

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Sat Dec 18 06:28:04 GMT 1999

Here are my 2 cents on this.

I'm very disappointed at the idea of writing worse code just because
someone isn't paying you for it. I code because I love coding. I like
it when people appreciate the code but I get a much greater kick out
of someone liking my code when they themselves are a programmer and
they appreciate it for what it is rather than just because it might
have some commercial value.

I'd also like to say that in my experience the people who contribute
to Samba tend to do so because they want to and enjoy contributing to
a project like this. That most definately includes Luke, despite some
of his comments. Luke loves programming a lot.

I do get a bit annoyed at times when people write to me demanding
help/features etc and appear to have the attitude that I am here to do
their bidding. That is becoming more common as Samba becomes more
popular and I have now taken to just not replying. Trying to make
people understand how open source works is hard, and is too much work
to explain to everyone individually.

I am absolutely delighted that several members of the Samba team
(including myself) now have full time jobs directly related to Samba
development. I am even more pleased that this happened without us
compromising any of the basic principles we started with. That is
beyond what I could ever have imagined when this project started.

I don't in any way begrudge any company that makes money (no matter
how much) from Samba as long as they follow the license. If, however,
a company asks us to do extra work beyond what we want to do as a
hobby (whether that be support, development or documentation) then of
course it is not at all unreasonable for the person doing the work to
get payed for that work. That is up to the individual to negotiate.

Now I better get back to coding up the new db module for Samba. I want
to get it all finished and use it to replace our current ad-hoc stuff
before christmas.

Cheers, Tridge