Samba under Coherant and Macintosh

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 18 06:24:09 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> wrote:
> (assumed) Andrew Tridgell wrote:
>> smbd should _never_ be starting/stopping daemons via rpc calls. I know
>> you have had plans in the past to do this and even ideas of making
>> everything in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ available as rpc services - I think
>> the whole idea is totally gross (as I said at the time). It is
>> features for features sake. Have you actually ever had a Unix admin
>> say to you "gee, I wish I could start/stop sendmail on unix via my NT
>> workstations domain management GUI" ?
>
>[if there are any such people, speak now or forever hold your peace].

I am not a UNIX admin (or not usually).  However my experience on the
equivalent of such daemons is than in most environments it is not a usual
manual task to stop or start them.

In most cases I am in an environment with a terminal session to issue the
command, either locally or through a trusted rsh equivalent.

While a utility to emulate the WINDOWS NT Service manager may have a lot of
uses, I do not see a strong need for it.  I would also want to greatly
restrict what it was allowed to do by an independant means than the main
init.d file.

One of the more interesting uses of SAMBA and other SMB type products is it
allows OpenVMS and UNIX systems to more easily script things on a remote
windows box.  Using these tools on a system that already has good scripting
support seems a bit redundant.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net