[samba-tng] msrpc status

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Dec 17 22:04:36 GMT 1999

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 08:45:00AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> are you sure that solarix x86 _has_ a VFS?

	Doesn't matter...

	I don't remember which version of which OS it was but...  It was
either SunOS 4.x or Solaris 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4.  I specifically ran
into the problem where a product I was developing (a voice command
recognition product) needed to change ownership and permissions of a
named pipe (socket).  It couldn't and I had to bury several such pipes
under directories where I could change the permissions.  Now...  Maybe
things have changed with version and maybe they're merely not testing on
the right version of the right platform of the right OS.  Other products,
like ssh, use the same trick of burying the socket under a directory.  There
is a reason for this.  Unless someone can demonstrate conclusively that
all versions of all operating systems we are going to run into behave
properly and allow us to change the attributes of a socket directly, then
we have to assume that sooner or later we will run into one that won't and
then we'll be broken and it will be our bug.  It's easier to do right
the first time and cover all the cases than it is to go back and fix it
later and try to deal with compatibility issues.

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/