smbmount problems (still)

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:25:37 GMT 1999

smbmount is still exhibiting the irritating behavior of not being able
to keep shares mounted.  I only know about NT, but one fellow wrote me
(why me? I'm not an expert?) saying he was having the same problem with
Solaris--but he didn't mention any version numbers.  I'm using v2.0.6 on
RH 6.0, mounting NT 4.0SP5 WS shares.  It's very irritating.  Isn't
there a better way to error out than generating an Input/output error?
remounting the timed-out share would be optimal...but with I/O errors,
you gotta su to root to umount the mountpoint. :(

Also (and I guess this is for Tridgell?), the following snippet of code
will fail to umount the share 100% of the time, if there is a connection
error, and the user is not root:

        if (umount(mount_point) != 0) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Could not umount %s: %s\n",
                        mount_point, strerror(errno));
                return;
        }

Unless you have umount installed setuid root, of course, which in most
cases is not acceptable practice.  Is there a better way to do this?
Maybe make a wrapper program or something?

ciao,
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis