[samba-tng] msrpc status

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 16 17:48:09 GMT 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Michael Ju. Tokarev wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> []
> > TODO
> []
> > TODO on samba itself
> []
> > luke
>
> Ohh, you are planning major rewrite...
> Just two more suggestions (in addition to have shared libraries
> for all samba stuff) --
> a) Think about smb.conf and loadparm etc. Such modularization will require
>    some parameters in smb.conf that will be unique to some daemon, and
>    others to other etc. As result, there should be also a rewrite for loadparm
>    and friends so that it can accept a list of parameters that this daemon
>    accepts, and should ignore other parameters. If, as you wrote, there will
>    be so many daemons and a possibility to add others etc, than configuration
>    reading also should be flexible so that there is no need to list all
>    available parameters in loadparm, there should be other anapproach for this.

weelll... chris hertel discussed over a year ago about doing a
hierarchical smb.conf parser.

you could then do something like this:

[global]
{
	[msrpc]
	{
		param 1 = x
		client ntlmv2 = yes
		[lsarpc]
		{
			database type = SAM (or LDAP or NDS etc)
		}
	}
}

[homes]

	blahh

> b) And I think that there should be something like "thread-safe" support.

argh.  no.  horrible.  :)  threads are non-ansi-c-portable.  you want us
to exclude loads of people?  *sigh*

> independant of it's realisation.  But b) is more hadrer since there are a lot
> of globals etc etc that should be eliminated. This can give also more accurate

yes.

> code and more structural organization of it, and helps with shared libs also.

also true.