Samba under Coherant and Macintosh

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Thu Dec 16 16:07:40 GMT 1999

Andrew Tridgell <tridge at linuxcare.com> writes:

With the risk of being shot, I will just try to give a wider view....

> smbd should _never_ be starting/stopping daemons via rpc calls. I know
> you have had plans in the past to do this and even ideas of making
> everything in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ available as rpc services - I think
> the whole idea is totally gross (as I said at the time). It is
> features for features sake. Have you actually ever had a Unix admin
> say to you "gee, I wish I could start/stop sendmail on unix via my NT
> workstations domain management GUI" ?
>
> even if such a feature were ever added (and it would be over my dead
> body!) then it would only make sense to start/stop those daemons as
> root!

In AFS [1] (the transarc version) there there is a server called BOS (basic
overseer service) (I guess from the beging a nanny that would restart the
fileserver *when* it died :)

Now with this server you can start, stop, view the logfile, query status remote.

  datan:/# bos status anden -local
  Instance vlserver, currently running normally.
  Instance ptserver, currently running normally.
  Instance buserver, currently running normally.
  Instance upserver, currently running normally.

This is might useful since you never need to login to the fileserver, all
services can be stop/started remote. It also make sure that everything is
started in the right order (no fsck at the same time as the fileserver),
uppdates binaries. It also collects corefiles :)

  datan:/# bos status alladin -local
  Instance fs, has core file, currently running normally.
      Auxiliary status is: file server running.
  Instance upclientetc, currently running normally.
  Instance upclientbin, has core file, currently running normally.

It also does a lot of silly things like restart the daemons (since they
used to have memoryleeks :( in their fileserver ).

Its also _the_ way you stop the fileserver, no kill. the bos know how to
take down that fileserver in a civilized way to make sure the user doesn't
loose any data.

All servers are running as root.

People that are using afs are happy with this.

Love
arla-hacker

[1] Andrew File System as it used to be called.