major architectural "split"

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Dec 8 23:21:37 GMT 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Tim Potter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton writes:
>
> > i am not looking forward to having to modify 2.0.x and cvs main to do
> > this, but once it is done, it will DEFINITELY make development of samba
> > MSRPC services _so_ much easier.
>
> Can you make a branch or something to do all this major stuff in?  I
> get the impression that people (i.e everyone who uses this stuff for
> work related purposes) really want a stable Samba with all the PDC
> stuff in it instead of having to take a punt at whether the latest CVS
> HEAD actually compiles.

:)

i know.

that's just the way i work (commit 4 to 8 times a day) and i rely on you
nice people to give me feedback on things i forgot (thank you! thank you!)

adding this SMB<->MSRPC interface into samba will make it easier to create
snapshots of different daemons,.

i really, really do not want to get into the situation where here we are
one year later and the development branch still hasn't been merged with
the release branch.

on a per-daemon basis, i want to be able to cut that time to a maximum of
three weeks.  ABSOLUTE maximum.

that's simply not going to happen with the current architecture.

luke