FW: Samba NT Domain Controller code

Zygo Blaxell ccijcrkf at umail.corel.com
Thu Aug 26 21:52:37 GMT 1999

In article <37C36C90.403A3AEF at cse.unsw.edu.au>,
Matt Chapman  <matthewc at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>Gerald Carter wrote:
>> Yes.  I realize this, but once you stick a tarball out there,
>> these people will not be the only ones to get it.  I understand
>> the legitmate need for a tarball by people behind a firewall,
>> I'm just a little bit nervous about making so that everyone
>> can download it just like the **main** distribution.  Of
>> course, no one would ever download the HEAD branch tarball and
>> think they were getting a stable distribution right?  And no
>> one ever runs 2.0.x as a PDC right?
>
>I think it would be useful nevertheless, and would reduce the load on
>the CVS server.
>
>What if we were to call the archive something like
>samba-devel-prealpha-unstable-990825.tar.gz... do you think people would
>get the message? :-)

Put the archives in a mode-711 directory, and give them easily
predictable names (e.g. based on the date).  Then tell people to
download ".../whatever/samba-devel-prealpha-unstable-YYMMDD.tar.gz".
Document this where only a dedicated soul would find it, like right next
to the CVS instructions.  Assuming that the firewall isn't completely
intrusive, people can just download the .tar.gz file by specifying its
name in full.

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation.  zygob at corel.ca (work) or
zblaxell at furryterror.org (play).  Opinions above are my own, not Corel's.