Where to submit patches?

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Aug 24 22:06:32 GMT 1999

David Lee wrote:

> Over the last few months we have developed three patches for samba,
> which are currently against 2.0.4b .  (I am aware that the current version
> is 2.0.5a.)
>
> The patches are:
> 1. Implement quotas on Veritas File System (vxfs).

Sounds good.

> 2. Allow a non-zero return-code from preexec (and from root preexec)
>    to abort the connection (controllable by another parameter).

I think I already added this - but I'd like to see the patch.

> 3. Allow UNIX file permissions of new files/directroies to be inherited
>    from parent directory.  (Very un-UNIX-y, I know, for us techno-geeks,
>    but an exceedingly useful and intuitive option for our user population
>    which will soon number several thousand.)

Ok - this is an interesting one. I just had a long chat with
Andrew about this at the O'Reilly Open Source conference in
Monterey.

I'd like to throw out the following proposal to the group for
discussion. Neither Andrew nor I like the idea of 'dot' meta
files in directories to control this behaviour.

Currently, setting the setgid bit on a directory causes the
primary group to be inherited from the directory, not the
owner. Our idea was to add (another:-) new parameter on a
per-share basis :

"inherit permissions"

which would be a boolean with the following effect. If this
is set on a share and the directory within which the file or
directory is being created has the setgid bit set then the
permissions of the file or directory are inherited from that
of the directory.

This would allow feature to be used on a per-directory basis,
and would also propagate into created directories.

Thoughts ?

> Where do I submit them for assessment and, hopefully, inclusion into the
> source code?  If to this list, can I send them as attachments?

If you have to :-).

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.