Error in debug-message...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Aug 24 19:20:24 GMT 1999

On Aug 25,  5:07am, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> The first patch is correct, the other isn't as there are
> compilers where the FUNCTION_MACRO doesn't work at all.
>
> Unfortunately we need both.

This was a cause for some annoyance when I wrote that bit, as I work on an SGI
and SGI are one of the platforms without FUNCTION_MACRO support.  So, on
systems that support FUNCTION_MACRO the function name will appear in the debug
message header.  For those that don't we *sometimes* include the function name
in the debug message itself.  The problem is that functions get renamed and
code gets copied about.  As a result, we can't completely trust the function
names that are hand-written into the messages.

It's a trade-off.  The kind of thing that one encounters when trying to be as
portable as possible (a point which Andrew has had great fun driving home to
me).

Chris -)-----