Patches to head (become_root and some RPC stuff)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Aug 23 18:59:00 GMT 1999

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Michael Stockman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > do people agree that this is a good idea?  [splitting passwords out
> into
> > private/DOMAINNAME.user1.mac private/DOMAINNAME.user2.mac]
> >
> > does someone want to write a private/sampasswd module, as this would
> be a
> > good opportunity to do this.
>
> No, this idea is probably wrong. The idea, as put forth in the
> previous discussion,

i missed it.  i have 750 messages and increasing, and no time to read
them.

> is to protect the password hashes and this
> exposes them to user interference. What we need is actually only one
> file with public user information and one with restricted (such as
> passwords).

hmmm... but there is actually so little info in private/smbpasswd that
this seems like a lot of effort to go to, unless you actually extend the
"public" information.  most of the "public" information currently comes
from smb.conf options and /etc/passwd.

luke