Why is become_root???

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Aug 17 23:13:45 GMT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Michael Stockman wrote:

> Howcome we have to become root?

for users to be able to change passwords.

> Isn't the point of being the connected user that it won't be able to
> access restricted information?

correct.

> Does samba have a proprietary security model around the RPC
> information?

no, it's alpha code.

> If so, is it that everyone have access to anything any RPC give away?

yes.

> And if so, should samba really give away more than you
> (might) have access to on the UNIX side?

no.

> Could anyone please answer these questions so that my faith in
> become_root is restored and I don't remove every call to them (which
> would ultimately solve the become_root problem)?

please do so.  any problems that result we will find a way to deal with
them (e.g "special case" around user's being able to change their own
password).

luke

p.s please could you consider doing this for _both_ cvs main and current
stable release?