querying an NT domain for a list of logged-in users

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Aug 16 22:24:19 GMT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> yes.  see rpcclient, issue a srvsessions command.  if it does not contain
> sufficient info, let me know, i will code up some of the higher-privilege
> info levels for you.

Is there any chance that the output of 'rpcclient -h' will be updated soon
to reflect current usage? :)  I ended up digging through some mail archives
to find the proper syntax.  I'll volunteer to do said quick patch, if you
like. :)

I haven't tried this yet against an NT server, since we don't have any
on-site here, so testing whether 'srvsessions' gives me the info I need will
have to wait a little bit.  Thanks for the lead, tho.

> samba (smbd) does not respond to this rpcclient command as someone needs
> to hack smbstatus-like functionality into smbd.

> i.e take smbstatus source and feed it into rpc_server/srv_srvsvc.c
> make_srv_sess_info_1(), make_srv_sess_info_0(), make_srv_conn_info_0(),
> make_srv_conn_info_1() and make_srv_file_info_3().

> anyone want to do this?

Hmm. How much research would I have to do to understand the intent of the
code sufficiently to work on this? :) (Not having much of a background in
RPC/DCE)  If we end up using this method, I'm sure the employer would be
happy to have me fix this up to work with a Samba server as well.  It would
be nice to actively receive notification from the PDC of logon/logoff
events, but I'll use what's available. :)

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer