authentication failing

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Aug 3 16:43:54 GMT 1999

Simon Falvey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been running with 1.9.18 for some time and recently upgraded to 2.0.4 and then
> 2.0.5
>
> Since going to version 2 we have been having intermitant problems with PC users accessing
> shares.
> The PC users are logging into an NT controlled domain and our SAMBA server is using the
> domain PDC to authenticate against in "security=server" mode. Encrypted passwords are
> used.
>
> Each time this problem occurs, the PDC returns (log level 9)
>
> [1999/08/03 08:54:52, 1] smbd/password.c:server_validate(1131)
>   password server UKNTPDC rejected the password
>
> Similar messages are logged in the event viewer of the PDC.

I would suggest moving to "security=domain" as this
uses exactly the same mechanism that NT servers do to
authenticate against a PDC.

There are several issues with security=server that I
don't want to go over again here, and I'm trying to
deprecate it :-).

Domain security is definately the way to go (it's much
more reliable and also doesn't add a drain on the PDC
resources).

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.