Latest NT vs Linux benchmark

Robert Sandilands robert at vps.co.za
Mon Aug 2 15:23:35 GMT 1999

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Jeremy Allison wrote
> Robert Sandilands wrote:
>
> > Using the same hardware we compiled, using several different compilers,
> > our software on a Microsoft NT server in 25 min and on a RedHat 5.2 +
> > Samba 2.0.3 in 47 min. This is mostly C++ compilers for Dos, Windows 9x,
> > NT, Novell OS targets and more than 150,000 lines of code distributed over
> > approx. 1,300 c++ files.

Something amusing as follow up on this story. Since the time of my own
tests that I quoted here there have been a management buy-out of the
division of the company and we are now on our own network. We have also
upgraded our server to add one more 9GB FW SCSI disc and moved from a 3COM
100MHz switch to a very bad Accton 3016A Hub.

The same compile time is now down to 22 min. vs. the 25 on the old network
under NT and the 47 min. under Samba. Possible reason? The old company's
network was -really- badly setup? The combination of
Novell/NT/Sun/FreeBSD/Linux machines did something that confused Samba? I
don't know and will have some serious difficulty testing it again :-)

All the views expressed within this document are mine alone at this
moment in time. I reserve the right to change my opinion for no reason
whatsoever.
       Robert Sandilands - a dotty engineer and computer sleuth.
       	Senior Virus Analyst : Virus Protection Services (Pty) Ltd.
 Tel: +27-12-841-2106, Fax: +27-12-841-4670, Email: robert at vps.co.za