The truth about SMB

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Apr 24 13:35:33 GMT 1999

Hi,

it is time to find out the truth with respect to the SMB protocol.

I was just reviewing my document "Just What is SMB"

	(http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html)

and noticed some mistakes. Eg, I claim that it was defined in 1987, but
some kind soul has sent me an IBM document dated May 1985 (IBM Personal
Computer Seminar Proceedings), which gives the lie to that claim.

So, I am seeking more info about SMB. Things like dates, when NetBIOS over
IPX was defined, etc.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours