Print Queue displays

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Mon Apr 5 15:57:53 GMT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Benjamin Kuit wrote:

> Currently samba doesn't support displaying the number of pages to
> be printed when showing the print queue.

It could but that would be an over-complex job. Samba only reformats the
output of lpq to something that a Windows client can display.

If you lp daemon can handle a per job page count (either internally or by
an option to lpr) then Samba could retrieve it. I think it's something
that will be handle by the future IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) that
will be included in LPRng 4.x and in NT2000

> I was going to try and do this myself, and added a field (int pages)
> to the print_queue_struct structure ( include/smb.h ), and writing a
> custom print queue parser ( selected by 'printing = custom' in
> smb.conf ), but I dont know how to add the extra information to the
> returning packet ( somewhere in smbd/ipc.c:fill_printjob_info ? ).

complex and only valid for job submitted by samba.

> Just thought it would be relativily easy to do, since most NT print
> drivers convert their print jobs to postscript, its easy to work out
> the number of pages to be printed, by counting the number of times
> 'showpage' is called in the postscript document.

On NT each pages are separated by a startpage/endpage call whatever the
driver is.

	Jean Francois