more info on the nmbd problem

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Sep 30 12:55:52 GMT 1998

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Michael D. Ivey wrote:

> > Michael H. Warfield (mhw at wittsend.com)
> > Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> >         I've been noticing for some time that I've been having a problem
> > with nmbd and the latest snapshots. In particular, I've noticed that
> > after a while, nmbd disappears. More specifically, on the system I have
>
> I'm having the same problem...here's my trace:
>
> [root at alice source]# nmbd -D; ps axf |grep nmb
>  9816  ?  R    0:00 nmbd -D
>  9818  ?  R    0:00  \_ nmbd -D
> [root at alice source]# gdb
> GNU gdb 4.17
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".
> (gdb) attach 9816
> Attaching to process 9816
> 0x400d983e in ?? ()
> (gdb) continue
> Continuing.

> 0x8055eb2 in ?? ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x8055eb2 in ?? ()
> #1  0x80548bc in ?? ()
> #2  0x8054ffa in ?? ()
> #3  0x804ad1c in ?? ()
> #4  0x804b8c8 in ?? ()
> (gdb)

I think someone else send a backtrace from gdb as well, but just in
case...

Could you recompile gdb with the -g flag (for debugging support) and then
perform the stpes you just did.  See what happens.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )