smbmount and smbfs (was Re: smbmount et al...)

Bill Hawes whawes at transmeta.com
Mon Sep 28 15:38:21 GMT 1998

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

>         Smbfs kernel module (2.1.122):
>
>         1) Date stamps bear little resemblance to reality.
>
>         Here is an example...
>
>         Three systems:
>
>         Chaos - Linux 2.1.122
>         Amber - Linux 2.0.35
>         Phil  - Windows NT 4.0 SP3
>
>         \\phil\public is mounted on /mnt/phil/public on both Chaos and Amber.
>
>         On amber "ls -l /mnt/public" date stamps look reasonable:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          512 Aug 27 16:14 t_elvis
> drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          512 Sep 10 12:06 tellison
> drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          512 Sep 15 16:24 telljohann

Hi Michael,

I intend to maintain the kernel smbfs code, so please direct any kernel-related bug
reports to the linux-kernel list.

With regards to the timestamp problem, I would suspect that you've mounted the
volume with incorrect bug-workaround flags. There are differences in the way
timestamps are handled in Win95 vs NT smb servers, so if smbfs thinks it's talking
to a Win95 system, timestamps will probably be wrong.

If you need to support both NT and Win 95 systems using the same kernel modules,
you need to _not_ specify the Win 95 kernel config option, but instead use the
mount time flags.

Regards,
Bill