CVS update: samba/source/smbd

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mon Sep 21 17:32:41 GMT 1998

tridge at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:

> The last change was because EB wanted the right volume label. The code
> we had used a non unicode volume label but tests with W95->NT4 showed
> that it has to be unicode. There was a note in the code from Jeremy
> saying that he thought it should _not_ be unicode. Jeremy, can you
> explain why? It certainly didn't work as non-unicode (the client
> displays a garbage volume label) and when I fixed it to use unicode it
> all worked from Win95.

Yep - the reason is that NT Server 4.0 SP3 under these circumstances
insists on the label being ascii. Even if you set the "this packet
is unicode" bit it still treats the label as ascii.

This is a nasty problem -  it seems that Win95 insists on
UNICODE and ignores the "this is ascii" bit, and NT4.0 SP3
insists on ascii, and ignores the "this is unicode" bit.

Hmmmmmm. Client specific code maybe ? (Gag.....)

Jeremy.