WINS, dialup, and netlogon problems

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mon Sep 21 16:32:37 GMT 1998

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> 1. The user's PC logs in one night and they get:
>
>     IP address =172.16.10.120
>
>    so they have a PC#00, PC#03 and PC#20 all saying 172.16.10.120
>
>    Next night they log in, because a different modem is used, they get:
>
>     IP address = 172.16.10.121
>
>    so they have a PC#00, PC#03, and PC#20 all saying 172.16.10.121 as well
>    as the entries above!
>
>    We have 1.9.18p10 and I have seen the above.

Well the nmbd in 1.9.18p10 will register a name multiple-times
for the same IP address, but only if the second registration
is a multi-homed registration.

Are these machines coming in over a dialup line ? If so this
dialup IP registration may very well be a multi-homed
registration.

> 2.  We are doing things with smbclient against the above dial-in PCs, but
> smbclient will not use WINS, and if you put WINS SERVER = <server ip
> address> in the smb.conf pointing to the machine which runs samba (which is
> the same machine that we do smbclient on) and have WINS SUPPORT = on, since
> we are a WINS server, nmbd refuses to run.
>
> How are we to get smbclient to do WINS lookups?

Doesn't smbclient use the host lookup switchtable
function ? In which case it should use either
gethostbyname(), WINS or broadcast - depending
on how you have the "name resolve order" set.

Jeremy.