Patch for smbclient command du, tar cn, PASSWD_FILE and PASSWD_FD

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Sun Sep 20 10:03:25 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net> writes:

> ok, nothing wrong with that: you may be right about the byte
> alignment.

I was not, just false alarm.  Solaris' getpass() will return a string
with at most 8 characters, and my password had 9.  It's amazing that I
hadn't noticed that before...  I guess that's why SAMBA 1.9.18p10
would replace getpass on Solaris...

Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to detect, at configure time,
whether getpass() should be replaced or not, except using tools such
as expect or some other kind of pty controller :-(

Perhaps we should #define REPLACE_GETPASS by default, until we find a
work-around.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva at dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva at acm.org