Error registering DOMAINNAME<1b> with 1.9.18p4 WINS server

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Sep 9 17:09:00 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > This is a general question.  This is a queued netbios packet to be sent
> > from the problem PDC to the WINS server.  Why is the bcast flag set to
> > 0 but the node_type = B_NODE?
>
> it's because the query is specifically sent to that machine.  only that
> machine is expected to respond.
>
> remember that NetBIOS itself used to be a transport, so you can set "bcast
> = True" which is equivalent to sending to x.x.255.255 or x.x.x.255 or
> whatever, and "bcast = false" which is equivalent to sending to x.x.x.x

Right.  I got that.  Question was directed mot to the B_NODE flag.
If I have set the 'wins server' paramet in smb.conf the samba_nb_type
should be set to NB_MFLAG arther than NB_BFLAG which is what is showing
up in the outgoing packet

void set_samba_nb_type(void)
{
  if( lp_wins_support() || (*lp_wins_server()) )
    samba_nb_type = NB_MFLAG;       /* samba is a 'hybrid' node type. */
  else
    samba_nb_type = NB_BFLAG;       /* samba is broadcast-only node
type. */
} /* set_samba_nb_type */

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter