samba-2.0.0-alpha1 portability issues

green at UMDNJ.EDU green at UMDNJ.EDU
Wed Sep 9 14:34:10 GMT 1998

This isn't really a response to David's posting, but I'm not sure where
else to report this, so...

Configuring and making this alpha on an HPUX 10.20 box (a 9000/715), I
had a couple of notes:

- the resulting Makefile doesn't have an important flag for the HP ANSI
compiler;  the initial value for CFLAGS is only "-g", but should
include "-Ae" to enable the ANSI features (this is equivalent to using
"-Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE").  As I found later, this should be set in the
environment, but anyone else on an HP box should be so warned...

- there was a lone warning during the make:
Compiling lib/netmask.c
cc: "lib/netmask.c", line 317: warning 618: Declaration of "in_addr" not
visible outside this function prototype scope.

Otherwise, everything seems to make okay.  So far.

- when starting, both daemons start and then poop out with similar log
messages, this one for smbd:

[1998/08/31 18:32:31, 1] smbd/server.c:(630)
  smbd version 2.0.0-prealpha started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1997
[1998/08/31 18:32:32, 0] lib/pidfile.c:(82)
  ERROR: smbd : fcntl lock of file /products/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid
failed. Error was No such file or directory

However, both smbd.pid and nmbd.pid *do* exist.  They are both
zero-sized files, but with different permissions:
-rw-------   1 root       sys              0 Aug 31 17:09 nmbd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root       root             0 Aug 31 17:09 smbd.pid

Both the nmbd and smbd errors are for the same line in pidfile.c.

For the last few releases, Samba has be a nobrainer to make and install;
I guess I just got spoiled.  Since neither daemon will run, I can't give
any more diagnostics.  <sigh>

Clifford Green               Internet -  green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services     voice -     732-235-5250
UMDNJ-IST                         fax -     732-235-5252
Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit.