auto-loading of smb.conf

David P. Murphy sambaman at norse.myths.com
Wed Sep 9 02:56:39 GMT 1998

>I've actually been tempted to change smbd and nmbd to only reload on
>HUP and when a new connection is established (ie. when the daemon
>forks). What do other people think about this? I originally put in the
>auto-reload code because I thought it would be a convenience but I
>think it may actually be counter-productive. It certainly doesn't
>follow the principle of least surprise - most Unix daemons only reload
>on HUP.

which is exactly what happened to me the first time i modified the
config file . . . almost did a 'killall -HUP smbd' out of habit,
but read the man page first "just to confirm" and was quite
surprised to not find the capability.

i would certainly agree that reloading only upon SIGHUP would be
the Right Thing to do.

ok
dpm