Error registering DOMAINNAME<1b> with 1.9.18p4 WINS server

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Sep 8 22:24:25 GMT 1998

Greetings again...

Not sure what to think about this one...

I'm running the 2.0 prealpha code downloaded via CVS on August 26
running on Solaris 2.5.1(sparc)

Here's the log message

[1998/09/08 16:30:24, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_fail(360)
  become_domain_master_query_fail: Error 0 returned when querying
  WINS server for name ENG-NT<1b>.

Also seeing

find_response_record: response packet id 6316 received with no matching
record.
find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
6316

packet id <6316> appears to be the request that is timing out.

I've done some debugging and it seems to be timeing out when trying to
register the DOMAINNAME<1b> record with the 1.9.18p4 WINS server.

The catch is that it will only fail to register this name if the WINS
server is on the same subnet.  If the WINS erver is on another subnet,
everything goes as planned. Does this sound familar to anyone?  Not
sure I quite understand the behavior here.

I gone through the code and looked at backtraces of the call stack
during execution and can't seem to get why it's doing this.

Could someone enlightne me a little?  I can provide as much or
as little information as you want.  I'll keep looking in the
meantime.

Thanks again,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter