Security model in samba-2

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Thu Sep 3 15:38:54 GMT 1998

David Collier-Brown wrote:
>         And it doesn't even map into the old
>         ``orange book'' (military) concepts of secuity
>         categories and levels within them...

	I should comment that Samba's security model
	``fits inside'' an orange book categoey and level.

	A colleague and I described samba security as three-level,
	but not in the ``secret" -vs- "top secret" sense
	of levels: more like
		1) host level -- what machine can connect
		2) Service-level -- per-share limitations
		3) user-level -- limitations on particular users.
	all sitting on top of (inside of) normal Unix
	security.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.