maintainer mode

Tim Potter tpot at acsys.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 31 03:53:22 GMT 1998

[makefile per directory stuff]

> > is there anything wrong with that?  i would like to see this happen, as i
> > could split rpc_* into libraries and just do cp into pam_ntdom etc...
>
> 	It works, but it doesn't scale.
> 	There's a long rant on the subject at the ``bake''
> 	maintainer's site, and I can testify to the
> 	severity of the problem here...

I agree - you can't correctly express dependencies between directories
with one makefile per directory.  Not that the dependencies are correct at
the moment...

Check out "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" by Peter Miller at
http://www.tip.net.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html for a good
discussion on this.

Tim.

> --dave (or maybe it was the ``cake'' maintainer's site) c-b

Perhaps it was "cook".