--enable-maintainer-mode

Tim Potter tpot at acsys.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 24 05:26:40 GMT 1998

> > When I ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode I get a Makefile that doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > acsys:~/work/samba/source$ make
> > make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 482: Unexpected end of line seen

Whoops - looks like I was running /usr/ccs/bin/make instead of gnu make.
(-:

> I don't use maintainer mode myself (just habit really) so I hadn't
> noticed this.

Ugh - how can you live without proper dependency checking?

> feel free to fix it.

But I've found a better problem - in maintainer mode the -fpic stuff
doesn't work because the rule applies the dependency stuff to the $(MV)
command and not as arguments to $(CC).

Shall I commit this one?  Are there any tips for commiting stuff (apart
from making sure it compiles) into the repository?  I haven't worked on a
multi-user CVS tree before.

Tim.

*** Makefile.in 1998/10/20 06:43:36     1.83
--- Makefile.in 1998/10/24 05:23:53
***************
*** 266,274 ****
        @if (: >> $@ || : > $@) >/dev/null 2>&1; then rm -f $@; else \