domain_master_node_status_fail: ... Cannot sync browser lists.

John Lusk lusk at dg-rtp.dg.com
Mon Oct 19 18:48:34 GMT 1998

This looks like a bug to me, except . . . no one else seems to have
encountered it, and it's in a pretty basic area, so there must be
something wrong at our site.

When the Unix server becomes a local master browser, Samba is unable
to sync its browse list w/that of the DMB.  None of our NT machines
are having any trouble, and our tech. support guy says the DMB is in
good health.  Rebooting the DMB is not an easy option.

Can somebody help?  Is there a better diagnostic tool than Domain
Monitor?  Should I be able to write my own pgm to formulate one of
these packets and fire it at the DMB and get a response?  Which exact
document am I going to have to read to figure that out?  I went to
MS's SMB site (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/CIFS/) and grabbed
most of the SMB docs, but where is this info buried?  The docs don't
seem to have tables of contents or indexes and Ghostview can't search
the postscript files for text strings.

Here are the notes I wrote before deciding to just ship this problem
off to the mailing list to see if anybody knows more than me (a sure
bet).
________________

SYMPTOM:

domain_master_node_status_fail: Doing a node status request to the
domain master browser for workgroup RTPNT at IP 128.222.1.74
failed. Cannot sync browser lists.

STACK TRACE LEADING UP TO ABOVE DIAGNOSTIC:

(debug) ev-st
breakpoint, name 0, line 350, scope \nmbd_browsesync\domain_master_node_status_fail
(debug) cont
Stopped at frame 0, line 350, scope \nmbd_browsesync\domain_master_node_status_fail, pc 0x8076516
 breakpoint "0"
(debug) walk
frame 0, line 350, scope \nmbd_browsesync\domain_master_node_status_fail, pc 0x8076516
frame 1, line 76, scope \nmbd_nodestatus\node_status_timeout_response, pc 0x8076e59
frame 2, line 1638, scope \nmbd_packets\retransmit_or_expire_response_records, pc 0x80710b9
frame 3, line 407, scope \nmbd\process, pc 0x806d098
frame 4, line 796, scope \nmbd\main, pc 0x806dea9
frame 5, pc _start+105

THE RECORD WE ATTEMPTED TO SEND AND GOT A TIMEOUT ON:

(i.e., absolutely no response, as opposed to "got something, but not
what we wanted", based on dumping p->ip.S_un.S_addr in
run_packet_queue())

in retransmit_or_expire_response_records():

(debug) eval *(rrec->packet)
{
   next      = 0x00000000
   prev      = 0x00000000
   locked    = 1
   ip        = {
      S_un      = {
         S_un_b    = {
            s_b1      = '\200'
            s_b2      = '\336'
            s_b3      = '\001'
            s_b4      = 'J'
         }
         S_un_w    = {
            s_w1      = 56960u
            s_w2      = 18945u
         }
         S_addr    = 1241636480u		# DMB ip address
      }
   }
   port      = 137		# The port we're sending this packet to?
   fd        = 4
   timestamp = 908574199
   packet_type = (NMB_PACKET, (packet_type) 0)
   packet    = {
      nmb       = {
         header    = {
            name_trn_id = 10842