SO_{RCV,SND}BUF=8192

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Fri Oct 16 16:18:48 GMT 1998

In SAMBA digest 1845, John Lusk <lusk at dg-rtp.dg.com> said:
| I've seen people advising that we set SO_{RCV,SND}BUF to 8192 as an
| optimization.  I added a call to getsockopt() to grab the old
| (default) value before setting it to the new, and it turns out (on
| DG/UX), that the default value is 8760 (or 8704, when you throw in the
| fact that packets are travelling between different sublans), so the
| 8192 "optimization" is a slight *decrease* in buffer size.-

	This made me wonder: would it make sense to log  SO_SNDBUF,
	SO_RCVBUF, and TCP_NODELAY in the once-only code where buffer
	sizes can be set?  As it is once-only, I'd hope it would not
	itself be a performance hit.

	At that point one can optionally decide if the user is doing
	something bizarre and log a warning...

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
N2M 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb