parameter offset in transact2 reply

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Tue Oct 13 16:21:07 GMT 1998

It looks, like if reply to transact2 does not have any parameters (Parameter
bytes = 0), NT sets parameter offset to data offset (at least, if there is
any data). Here is example:

          SMB: Parameter bytes = 0 (0x0)
          SMB: Parameter offset = 56 (0x38)
          SMB: Parameter Displacement = 0 (0x0)
          SMB: Data bytes = 0 (0x0)
          SMB: Data offset = 56 (0x38)

Visual check of several traces confirm it.

SAMBA currently sets prameter offset to 0 (zero). It may or may not have
cause problems. Netmon is greately confused at least, to the extent, that it
is no more possible to believe plain text printout.

I suspect at least one problem as well (one 16 bit program does not show
volume size. It did before).

It may apply to transact2 command as well. I simply don't know offhand any
command without parameters.

/andrej