Question on allocation of file structures

Gerald Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Oct 13 00:18:10 GMT 1998

At 10:12 AM 10/13/98 +1000, Christian Goetze wrote:
>I am having a problem running samba with clearcase. It seems that
>clearcase will open many files at once - I'm not sure if it closes
>them at some point, but the behaviour I'm observing is the following:
>
>I run a little test program that will create many view private files.
>Once MAX_OPEN_FILES is reached, my script hangs a little and sometimes
>the open will fail, sometimes it will continue with the next batch
>until a multiple of MAX_OPEN_FILES (minus one) is reached, where it
>will again sometimes fail or succeed after a short wait.

This will be fixed in Samba-2.  The open file data structures
have been reworked.  Try the latest CVS code and see if it
fixes things.  The default under Samba-2 is 10,000 i think.

Hope this helps,
j-

                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )