Win 95 printing problem

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Oct 9 07:26:28 GMT 1998

Hi all,

Well, having now gone and looked at the cvs log for smbd/filename.c I can
see that we did have a printing problem, and I think I must have grabbed
the source at a time when that problem was still there, and the regular cvs
updates I was doing were not grabbing the updates.

Something is going wierd with CVS it seems.

Anyway, I can see that there is some suggestion that the code that converts
"" to "." in unix_convert may need to go back.

>Removed "." code in smbd/filename.c (yet again :-).
>Jeremy.
>----------------------------
>revision 1.16
>date: 1998/09/26 03:49:25;  author: jra;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -3
>Fixed the problem with reply_getatr() being passed a "" name in reply_getatr,
>replaced the paranoid code in smbd/filename.c that replaces a "" with a ".".
>I am starting to think this code may well be needed.
>Jeremy.
>----------------------------
>revision 1.15
>date: 1998/09/25 03:52:29;  author: tridge;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -0
>I've disabled the conversion of null filenames to "." until we solve
>the win95 printing problem. I suspect it is a smbgetatr() problem with
>a null name (which requires special behaviour).

The error I saw was that Win95 was opening a file on a printer share with a
null name (\0), and unix_convert was converting it to a ".", which screws
up things when smbd is trying to open that file.

The solution was to guard against the convert with a:

    & (!conn -> printer))

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...