Scaling problems with Windows Clients name and address lookup

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Oct 6 20:36:52 GMT 1998

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I don't have an answer regarding registry entries.  I'll mention that this
> is just the tip of the iceberg regarding scalability.  NetBIOS to DNS name
> mapping simply doesn't work outside of a LAN.  Browsing gets very silly
> beyond a few interconnected LANs.

if microsoft had used the NetBIOS scope as it was intended (to mirror the
DNS zone) then we wouldn't _be_ in this mess.  NetBIOS names _do_ scale,
*if* you use the (variable length, limited to 64 chars) NetBIOS scope.

it's just that no-one knows what it is; ms browsers don't bother with it,
therefore browsing doesn't scale.