CIFS

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Mon Oct 5 21:13:57 GMT 1998

Okay, let me muddy the waters a bit.

CIFS is (yet another Microsoft flavor of) SMB.  I'm not sure how close any
of their implementations are to the published specification.

You also asked about Samba.  Samba implements CIFS over TCP/IP.  Samba
also implements supporting systems, including NetBIOS name resolution,
browsing, and NT Domain Control (currently in the early stages of
development).  Samba attempts to be as compatible as possible with
Microsoft's various implementations.

Chris -)-----