redirection and smbwrapper

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 3 13:30:00 GMT 1998

One thing that I've just noticed doesn't work is redirection to/from
files on a smbwrapper filesystem. For example a simple:

      echo hello > foo.txt

won't work. The reason is that this is implemented by using
dup2()/fork/exec and passing the open file descriptor as stdout to the
new process. The dup2() is no problem but I can't think of a good way
of passing file descriptors. Anyone have any ideas? (please first make
sure you understand how smbwrapper works, I know how passing file
descriptors is normally done)