vfs (fwd)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Nov 10 01:47:36 GMT 1998

Tim Potter wrote:

> OK.  This will mean that you can only have one vfs linked in, or perhaps
> provide some other method for doing it at compile time - perhaps something
> like Space.c in the network drivers for the linux kernel with a table of
> function pointers.

Hmmm. We should really do a "stackable" vfs layer, to allow
vfs modules to interpose at different priorities (I may
be getting a bit ahead of myself here :-).

> Yep - that's why I put in the default_vfs_ops structure so other modules
> could inherit some default behaviour and only override what they need.  In
> the case of the cr/lf conversion, it would only be the read() and write()
> functions.

Unfortunately not :-). If it were that simple we'd have
done it years ago as a compile time option.

The problem is that file *sizes* also change when you're
doing on-the-fly crlf conversions.

Jeremy.