Samba on Linux and LDAP

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Fri May 29 11:01:38 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Dan Shearer wrote:

Hi Dan,

> Tip for the day: I just discovered recently when designing an intranet
> that you can authenticate on Linux via LDAP with pam_ldap at
> http://anath.gmp.usyd.edu.au/pam_ldap. Very nice indeed. I haven't
> stress-tested it though. This makes it much easier to build single login
> solutions across SMB, radius, web, ftp, proxy-cache etc.

Yes. When I started the LDAP support for samba, I found it too. The module
is nice, but you can just authenticate if you have the clear-text
password, because the pam module is doing basically:

	1 connect to the LDAP server
	2 bind under the username and the user's password
	3 if the bind is succesful return user is authenticated
	  else return wrong password for the user.

> Now I'm looking for an LDAP 3.3 server apart from Netscape's (which is
> quite nice actually) so that I can put 128-bit SSL in it. UMich is 3.2 and
> I don't _think_ it does SSL but I stopped looking when I realised it
> wasn't 3.3..

Yes. If you find an LDAP server doing LDAP protocol version 3 running
under Linux, could you send me a mail please ?

	Jean Francois