How *exactly* does the file caching mechanism work?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu May 28 11:51:31 GMT 1998

jiva,

in some ways this question, or at least the answer, is best seen on
samba at samba.anu.edu.au not just on samba-technical.  i don't recieve the
samba digest, so don't know if you've posted it there.

so.  question.  by "workstation" in paragraph 4, do you mean the
"workstation smb client-side cacheing, which means opportunistic
locking" or do you mean "the foxpro application _running_ on the
workstation which _may_ apply its own read/write cacheing"?

[yes this is an issue: take SourceSafe, for example.  it can apply its own
locking mechanism or it can use the native file system one, and this is
configureable in SourceSafe itself].

if you mean "workstation as in Oplocks" then you are probably hitting a
Win95 client / NT server oplock bug, or just a Win95 oplock bug.  with
samba, if this is a problem, you can disable it by specifying "oplocks =
no".

jeremy had problems with oplocks: he found that win95 didn't bother to
close files, so had to add some code that, oh i don't know, broke the
oplock on last used files or something.

if foxpro has several file handles open you may run into this one, i don't
know.  try "FILES = 90" in config.sys, see what happens.

complete guess-work, mind you...

luke