Long machine names...

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Thu May 21 23:40:18 GMT 1998

> As a question, I'd like to know which UNIXs restrict
> user names to 8 characters ? Does anyone know which
> UNIXs don't have this restriction ?

Lots of unixes _partially_ restrict to 8 chars.

What I mean by that is that you can stick a longer name in /etc/passwd
but many utilities won't recognise it. For example, the samba-bugs
account on samba.anu.edu.au (IRIX 6.4) shows up as samba-bu to finger
but not to who. Under Linux you can't use talk to an account with a
long name. There are lots of other little examples.

Andrew