Long machine names...

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Thu May 21 15:01:31 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > How do you plan to put 15 char in an 8 char field of /etc/passwd ???
>
> two really nasty solutions are:
>
> 1) use a mangling system

:-( So smbpasswd have to mangle the name and write it in /etc/passwd ?

IMHO it's bad, unix sysadmin are paid to maintain their files, it's not
samba's job.

> 2) map all $ accounts to "nobody"

So you rely on uid from smbpasswd file to make machines' RID ? What's the
point to have machines (sorry trusts) accounts in /etc/passwd ?

	Jean Francois