NIS, shadow, and pam? (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed May 20 18:30:44 GMT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:52:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow at DEMENTIA.ORG>
To: pam-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: NIS, shadow, and pam?

>  This is almost what we are doing at DHP now.  Kerb5 authentication via
>  pam, but we are passing password files around with SCP.  I still have
>  major fears with using anything called NIS, mostly with people injecting
>  NIS responses saying that say "user panzer is really uid 0"... :)

I'd really love to teach nisplus how to use gss-rpc including seal/unseal, but
until there's a free nis+ server for linux this discussion is meaningless to me
(though there is a freebsd server. i tried porting it once, and then got pulled
away to other things)

but of course this is getting away from pam

-D