password API needed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Tue May 12 14:20:47 GMT 1998

jean-francois,

the password system you have (putting the password in clear-text) is
unfortunately not sufficient.  if we do one of the following:

- create an ldap database from a private/smbpasswd file

- create an ldap database from an NT PDC SAM registry (the holy grail that
  really takes microsoft's biscuit - an NT -> Samba migration tool HAHA!)

- add PDC / BDC replication, and support mixed NT / Samba PDC/BDC
environments

then we will need to put the 16 byte hashes in, not the plain-text
password.  this is because the plain-text password, in the above
scenarios, will not be available.

so, if i add "ntPwdHash" and "lmPwdHash" to the ldap schema, you know why
:-)

luke

p.s how do you go about _modifying_ ldap database entries?