nmb problems and failing to browse the network

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri May 8 00:27:40 GMT 1998

Hi,

At 02:10 PM 5/7/98 +0000, LKCL wrote:
>do you have a dhcp server around that you could tell the microtoss 95
>machine what its WINS server address is?

Well, we do, but since this machine was dialing up, DHCP is not the issue.
However, PPP 2.3.3 under Linux has been configured to hand out a primary
WINS server address, which it was doing.

My conclusion is that the Win95 box was trying to use WINS first for name
resolution and was then falling back on broadcasts, but failing on
broadcasts because it had it's netmask wrong!

What I now have to figure out is if the Samba machine was seeing the WINS
based name lookup requests or not, and if not, why not, and if so, why it
was not responding ('cause I did not see any responses while I was tracing,
and I sure could see both the requests and the responses when I tried it
with my LapTop dialing into the same place).

>On Thu, 7 May 1998, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just trying to debug some browsing problems. I went to have a look at
>> log.nmb and found lots of log messages about logon requests, but none of
>> them had a time stamp against them, so I could not figure out much about
>> what was going on. It would seem that entries in log.nmb should perhaps
>> have time stamps on them?
>>
>> Anyway I was watching a whole lot of traffic on a ppp interface, and saw
>> netbios-ns requests to 172.30.255.255-netbios-ns.  Now, the netmask we use
>> is 255.255.192.0, so the broadcast address above is bogus, and is a result
>> of a bug in Win 95.
>>
>> But what I can't understand is why Win95 was not using WINS.
>>
>> In particular, I saw it direct the name lookup requests to a specific host
>> first, probably from a WINS address setup for it, and then fall back the
>> the broadcast above.
>>
>> However, when I went to look in the log.nmb file I found nothing of
>> interest. What log level do I need to see if it is seeing the name lookup
>> requests?
>>

>> Regards
>> -------
>> Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
>> NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
>> Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
>> Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...

Regards
-------