Management of Samba (again)

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon Mar 30 13:19:14 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ok, let me say that again.  you got my support for "modularisation" if it
> also involves cacheing of the parameter configuration, in each of the smbd
> daemons.

	This was done successfully in Rayan Zachariasson's zmailer:
	what was notable there was the clean characterization of the
	thing being cached.

	Unsorted flat files had a medium-sized cache, and an
	inexpensive test for staleness (stat ::= read an inode)
	In Samba's case, the cache subsumes the whole file (:-))

	Sorted flat files and dbx had such a low cost to search
	(one to two seek/read pairs) that the cache in the program
	could be very small (just the last thing read, if my
	leaky memory suffices), and

	Daemons with long times to check or lookup had relatively
	large caches, with explicit ``times to live'' (eg, DNS,
	any browsing scheme).

	This gave very good performance in the ``usual undesirable case'',
	that of looking up the same thing repeatedly in umpty-dozen
	servers, and good performance in the general case.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb