Management of Samba (again)

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Fri Mar 27 18:02:39 GMT 1998

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> One obvious means would be to run a config daemon that would manage the
> live configuration.  nmbd & smbd would talk to that daemon when they
> needed config information (i.e., the lp calls would be rewritten to
> talk via the communications link).  Both Samba daemons, then, would
> need to start the config daemon if it wasn't already running.

The problem with this is *speed*. If all lp_XX calls
were redirected to a separate daemon Samba would run
slower than a one-legged dog in a whippet race (sorry,
that's my northen England background coming out there :-).

The lp_XX calls are called a *lot* - and in time
critical code also.

The layer of abstraction looks good - just don't
slow the lp_XX calls down :-).

What's that wonderful Computer Science law :

"Any conceptual problem can be solved by adding an extra
layer of indirection".

and the corollary :

"Any performance problem can be solved by *removing*
a layer of indirection".

My 2cents :-).

Jeremy.