Management of Samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 25 15:16:53 GMT 1998

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > 1) CORBA
> > 2) DCE/RPC
> > 3) proprietary.
>
> yep!
>
> Personally I think that the http method is a good interim method
> because of its simplicity.
>
> Eventually I'd like to fully support remote admin via DCE/RPC so that
> existing MS tools (ie. user manager for domains etc) can be used for
> many of the admin tasks. Luke has already done quite a bit of work
> along these lines.
>
> To make the MS DCE/RPC stuff really work we would have to extend it
> quite a bit to support all the config stuff that Samba has. I'm not
> really sure how feasible this is,

absolutely piddling easy.  if you wanted a new version of an interface,
you create a new number for it (12 bytes plus an interface version?) and
then create your new functions.

or you could add a totally new function number.  or increase the version
number of an existing interface.

each new function will take about half an hour to an hours' work to code
up.

luke