SWAT wish list

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Tue Mar 17 17:15:06 GMT 1998

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > couldn't you just bung the following in the page somewhere?
> > <META NAME="moved"
> > CONTENT="delay_in_seconds;URL=http://samba.anu.edu.au:901/status"
> > HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh">
>
> Thanks Simon! I've used this before for pages that have moved but I
> just didn't think of using it for a refresh!
>
> The only negative with this solution is that it makes it almost
> impossible to use the "back" button on the browser sensibly from that
> page.
>
> What I might do is have the status page not refresh by default but
> have a button and input field. The button would be "Auto Refresh"
> (changing to "Stop Refresh" if pressed) and the input field would be
> the number of seconds between refreshes. So if you want auto-refresh
> then you press the button after you go to the status page.
>
> Does that sound ok? Herb?
>
> Cheers, Andrew

I'll ping our webmasters (I'm not much of a web guru) but isn't there
some way of doing the refresh with server-side push (I think that is
what it is called)? The auto-refresh button would be OK if there isn't
a better way of doing this.

Speaking of back button problems - if you go to the help page by hitting
one of the ?'s and then use the back button you get the following (at
least on my browser)

Data Missing

This document resulted from a POST operation and has expired from the
cache. If you wish you can repost the form data to recreate the document
by pressing the reload button.
Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177